Pin Grading Scale
PIN GRADING SCALE
There exist a few grades of pins. Everyone's criteria for what makes an A Grade (Standard) versus a B Grade (Second) is different, but these are mine. I use this grading scale to determine which of my pins is considered a Standard Grade (A Grade) or a Seconds Grade (B Grade), and more.
The back of the pin is NOT graded, only the integrity of the nails themselves.
A Grade/Standard Grade
Very few pins are perfect, but these come close. These are pins that are near perfect but have some very minor faults to them. Some of these minor faults include...
• tiny, not noticeable air bubbles
• very minor enamel under fill
• some light imperfections in the metal plating
• light surface scuffing on the enamel or metal
• Minor off-set screen printed areas
• some minor and not noticeable dust on soft enamel pins
• some minor scuffing on the metal plating
• Minor not noticeable dents and scuffs in the hard enamel.
These pins are sold at full price and make nice gifts or additions to a collection. They are beautiful and are great for wear or display purposes. The vast majority of pins that I sell are A grade or Standard grade.
B Grade/Seconds Grade
These pins have noticeable flaws, some more minor or major than others. Some of the flaws that would qualify a pin as a B grade include...
• noticeable or multiple areas of under filled enamel
• moderately scuffed enamel or metal
• multiple points of imperfections on the metal plating
• multiple air bubbles in the enamel
• missing metal lines
• missing enamel
• Off-set screen printed areas
• areas of low glitter
• unfilled areas of enamel
• enamel staining on sides or back of pin
• overfilled enamel that floods some metal lines
• large amounts of glitter in areas where there shouldn't be
• noticeable amounts of dust on soft enamel
• small gouges or marks on enamel
A seconds grade pin might not be as nice as a Standard Grade, but it is still highly wearable and can make a good additional to a collection if the imperfections noted above are not bothersome to a collector.